Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Community

I was just reading the comments left yesterday on my teaser and I felt inspired with my wip. This got me to thinking about community and how important it is for us to be a part of it.

When I joined AW, I made friends. These friends have trusted me with their babies (manuscripts), given me advice on plot points, been supportive when I received rejections, and critted my own work. For this I am grateful. It is really a great group.

Another community I am part of is my local Jewish community. It is great to talk to others preparing for Shabbat, building their Sukkah or discussing concerns to being Jewish. It also makes fasting on Yom Kippur so much easier to be in a building full of others who are not eating - far better than sitting on the couch at home thinking of what's in the fridge.

A third community I am part of is the homeschooling community. Wow, this is a huge support group. Comparing curriculum, getting the kids together and being able to complain about how hard life is when a child refuses to do school work.

All of these communities make up a bigger community. These are places to be with others like myself and around people who understand what I am going through. I think of a lady I know who is not part of a community and I wonder how she does it. Life is hard enough without the pressure of feeling like we are alone. Look around you and see what communities you are a part of. It is rewarding to give back to these groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails