Monday, November 2, 2009

Teaser Tuesday

I am participating in NaNoWriMo so all projects have been put on hold for the dystopian about clones. I must say I am loving my characters. Larch is snarky, Stone is an ass, Thomas the Dictator is the perfect boyfriend material (even if he is 15 years older than Larch) and there are minor characters like Rodriguez who pushes Larch and jokes with her, Mrs. Gruen who is a five letter word and the screwed up failures of the cloning program who can be pathetic. So this week, I am giving you some of the messed up clones from Stone's pov, it's kinda long so you get to meet three of them. Eric is mixed with an eagle.

Eric turned around and came back in the room. He took a seat on the bed beside Lora and turned paisley blue like the comforter. Looked like I would have my work cut out for me since Lora's chameleon genes were going crazy.

“Truth time. I can’t help you if I don’t know what happened.”

Lora’s head tucked into her chest. She seemed downcast but I couldn’t really tell while she was blended in to the surroundings.

Eric surprised me by speaking up. “Stone, we love each other and want to get married. We were, um, doing what married people do when Ser walked in on us. It scared Lora. She was controlling really well till then, honest.”

Oh shit. I didn’t think they had feelings like that. Dad was not going to be happy. I realized that Ser wasn’t in the room with the others earlier when I came in and was the most sensitive.

“I need to go find Ser. Lora, think about your body and concentrate on what you are supposed to look like. Mind over matter. Get up and let’s see what happens.”

“I can’t, Stone. I’m naked.”

Holy hell. At least I couldn’t see her. “I’ll be back after I find Ser.”

I started to walk out of the room but Eric jumped up and grabbed my arm. “I know what will ease her stress. We’ll just finish what we started so give us time.”

“TMI, Eric. I really don’t want to know.” I pulled away and left the room, closing the door behind me.

I looked at the hallway as I searched for Ser. He was one of my father’s first creations that survived and the oldest in this group living below ground. None of the Others were allowed to leave the Underground bunker. A leftover facility from the time when America had a large armed forces, the bunker was hidden from outside view by a sewage treatment plant. It was a C.I.A. training facility at the turn of the century. Although the C.I.A. was not allowed to operate on US soil, they still had to train and house their agents.

The hallway I was walking down looked like the inside of a submarine. I came to Ser’s door and entered without knocking. I knew it was rude of me but I had no idea what I would find.

Ser was on the floor naked, writhing and slithering across the dingy carpet. His skin had already peeled off of his head. The roll of skin was almost at his shoulder blades. New scales were shimmering with an incandescent glow on his face. It would take several hours before his skin was back to normal. Normal for him was smooth and scaly, just like a snake, which was in his DNA.

“Ser, what can I do, man?” I asked. I tried to keep the disgust from my voice. I usually hid it well.

9 comments:

  1. Aren't you glad I voted for the dystopian? ;) I'm so glad you're writing this! I love dystopians and I think (from the snippets I've read) that this is headed in a good direction. Keep it up, girl! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool. I like the "messed up clones", as you called them! Good luck with NaNo, this seems like it will go really well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I also voted for dystopian!
    This is a great teaser, I want more lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this was awesome! Dystopian is one of my favorite genres and I think you really pulled it off :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, Jen! The description in the last paragraph about Ser freaked me out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesomeness!! Ser Freaks me out! LOL Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool concept! I haven't read anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really one of the most unusual concepts I've seen in a while. I'm enjoying it immensely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails