Thursday, November 5, 2009

Victims

I am officially a victim, or at least that's how the police report reads. Someone broke into my car last Friday and took off with my purse. I didn't realize how much was kept in my purse. I loved that purse, it wasn't expensive but it was cool. It was a hobo type bag that was plaid. The strap was short and the drawstring to close it was cool. I could pull it open and see everything in there and pull the strings together and go, knowing it was closed.

The things that were obvious to me that were permanently gone were my: iPod touch and leather case, prescription Rayban sunglasses (who but me can wear them?), checkbook, credit card (yes, I only have one), and license. As I have been completing an inventory for the insurance company Horace Mann, which so far has been wonderful, I began to see the little things that were missing: hand sanitizer, deoderant, makeup, receipts, membership cards, bandaids, notebook and pens, calendar and other small things.

It has been a hassle closing accounts, waiting for a new credit card (and learning how to use cash again), getting a new license and dealing with the loss, but the thing that really got me was the bank calling yesterday morning. Someone (possibly the person who took my purse) forged a signature on the back of one of the already made out checks, made out two more checks to himself and cashed them. Of course my bank is refusing payment but seriously? This person cashed them at a convenience store and put the same phone number on the check already made out and the ones he wrote to himself.

So this should be easy, right? The police can go to the person who cashed the check and question him. Maybe find something out. Obviously this person knew I did not write the checks to him, so he has done something wrong. Is this happening? The police have not called me back since I reported this development, so I have to go there tomorrow and see what's going on. It's not as if I live in a huge city, we have a city population of 2700, and I am hoping this can be resolved.

I didn't realize it, until today, that I am truly a victim. Someone violated my space and is continuing to violate me when they write checks out of my checkbook, look at the registry and see where I have spent my money, read the notes I have written in notebook, look at my calendar and know where I will be through the end of the year, have my appointment numbers and doctor's names, and more.

Someone will enjoy the free sub from Blimpie (I was saving this for a time when I had no money). Some child or children will enjoy three free trips to Jump City (I was saving these for my children to celebrate my son getting his cast off). Someone will go to the pizza place and use the 200 tickets my son was saving to get a big prize. Probably that someone will not use the 40% off card I have that was $20 away from being full (for my students piano books) or the clothing card that was 75% full. That someone will have no use for my Insurance card, Membership cards or license.

Perhaps the worst thing of all is that now, while I am in town, I look at a certain type of person and wonder if that is the person who stole from me. And it angers me that that person had to live up to the stereotype that is placed upon him. I used to argue that everyone is equal and we shouldn't judge based on race, religion, sex or money, now I just don't feel like arguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails