Friday, April 16, 2010

Flashback Friday

It's Friday and I'm participating in the very first, Flashback Friday with the brand-spankin'-new GotYA blog. Well, we're semi-new, you know the kinda new a fifty-year-old has after a face-lift, tummy tuck, liposuction, dye job and breast implants - looks like a whole new woman but underneath the shiny newness she's still the same. Welp, that's us...still the same. *cue Still The One by Orleans*

So for this week we are exploring the books that were memorable to us.

I must start at the beginning. My library had this teeny-tiny-itsy-bitsy-yellow-polka-dot, no, scratch that, wrong era and a song, oops, I got carried away. My library had a small space for YA books. I devoured the Fear Street Series by R.L Stine. There were also Christopher Pike books and other scary stories. In fact, the very first book I wrote was a cross between those books. It sucked, but hey, I was only eleven and didn't have the net or places like AW to teach me how to write well. I have a great excuse :)

Another series I absolutely loved was Sweet Valley High. Honestly, I can't remember much about these books but that I loved them lots. Unfortunately, my friend was going to give me Babysitter's Club books for Christmas but her house was broken into and the presents stolen, so I got gourmet biscuits instead, and never tried the books.

By the time I was in High School I was reading books from the adult fiction section and didn't pick up YA books until last year, when I started writing YA. All I can think now is how the books have drastically changed and gotten better in the past seventeen years. I look forward to seeing the changes the next seventeen years will bring.

6 comments:

  1. I used to love reading SVH too! My library didn't have much of a YA choice, so I had to take what I could get. Good thing we enjoyed those books, ey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved the SVH Twins and High series. I read them when I was growing up.

    Yeah, I actually didn't read a lot of YA when I was teenager. I was reading the older stuff like VC Andrews and Danielle Steel...and sneaking a peek of some of my mom's historical romances!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Fear Street. My favorite one was "Haunted".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being super snooty about Sweet Valley High. I read maybe one of them and just couldn't stand that they were gorgeous blonde girls. I think I was a little bitter.

    Then I grew up and dyed my hair black.

    *cue emo music* ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so a fan of R.L. Stine. But I didn't really read YA in high school, either. I sort of skipped to adult...and then reverted (it's better now! Let's face it.)
    I always was unsure how I felt about BSC because she NEVER used contractions and it bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never read any of these - where was I when I was a kid?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails